Introducing MilandDil Designs

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I’m back…Shinnyupatree (Teresa’s head elf) doing a guest blog for Teresa. Such a busy year for me with lots going on…seems like I can’t find enough hours in the day, week, month, can you relate?

Teresa suggested I share one of the exciting things I’ve started doing since my last post.  So I’m introducing you to MilandDil Designs .…a floral design business I’ve started on Etsy.

Mil – that’s me mother-in-law, and one of my daughters-in-law – that’s Dil.  My designing partner DIL is named Olga and she is going to nursing school.  My other DIL is already an RN in the NICU at a local hospital.

Olga and Lilliana for postI wanted a way for Olga to get a little extra tuition money for her nursing school…something that allowed her to spend time with her little one, Lilliana …my 15 month old granddaughter.  And yes, just in Grammy style, here’s a picture… or two…maybe just thLilliana Valentine 2011004ree and I’ll stop. That’s Olga with Lilliana, her little Russian-looking photo, and her unruly curly hair.Happy baby curly hair

Our design skills compliment each other…I say I know enough to be dangerous. No formal design training, no floral training…just a love for beautiful things and somehow that is translated into creations that can at times be a little quirky.  I don’t follow rules (no surprise if you ask my husband). Things don’t have to necessarily be symmetrical or balanced. In fact, I’m continually looking for ways to be a little bit different… a creation that has my signature. 

Olga on the other hand has had formal floral training and she has learned the rules for floral design.  It makes me laugh when she says she wants to “do it the way I do it”…and yet anything she does is fantastic. We’re learning from each other…the young teaching the old, the old teaching the young.

The summer is slowly fading…hot temperatures here in Louisiana can only mean one thing – Fall and Christmas are right around the corner. So here are pictures of a couple of my Christmas creations currently for sale on Etsy.IMG_1145

IMG_1126

Thanks to Teresa for giving me a chance to promote our little business.  I’ll still be her right-hand elf this year during tree season…so look forward to more of our antics. And MERRY CHRISTMAS!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Congratulations on your business! I wish you much success! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I will check you out on ETSY. Congrats! Your DIL and granddaughter are beautiful!

Terra said...

The photos show your designs are gorgeous and congratulations on your new business. The photos of your granddaughter are precious and she is oh so cute.